Help, O, Lord, for there is no longer anyone who is godly;
the faithful have disappeared from humankind.
They utter lies to each other;
with flattering hearts and a double heart they speak (12:1-2).
You, O Lord will protect us,
you will guard us from this generation forever (12.7).
Note: On Sundays, I'm taking a pause from blogging, so I'm only posting a quote.
Read your comments up to Sunday. Just wondering if you are allowing the psalms you read to "interact" with what is happening in your day-to-day life, Brenda. I have just started such a journey myself, using the psalm suggested by the lectionary for my morning prayer and meditation. Instead of a blog, I am doing daily entries in a journal. Reading the psalms and your comments took me longer than expected. I think you are a much faster reader than the average Joe! Are the verses you are highlighting those which speak the most to you at this point? An interesting project which I hope will allow you to slow down the pace at least once a day! Miche
ReplyDeleteI found the idea of a "double heart" very interesting. For Egyptians, the heart was the centre of moral judgment. At death, it would be weighed against the feather of Maat (the goddess of truth and justice) to determine if the heart was light enough (the person had been righteous enough) to have eternal life. (The process of mummification treated the brain rather unceremoniously -- it was pulled out of the skull through the nostrils.) The idea of a double heart -- one which fools the scales of justice and one which doesn't -- intrigues me.
ReplyDeleteIPF