Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Who shall abide in God's Sanctuary?

Psalm 15 and 16: Psalm 15 lists the qualities of those who may abide in God's tent--people who walk blamelessly, do what is right, speak the truth but don't slander, and treat their friends and neighbours well, including not lending money at interest. This list is prescriptive but it also reminds me of two other "lists" of what people should do: Micah 6:8 -- do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with your God (a text that was used as the basis of the sermon in my church last Sunday) and of course Jesus' admonition to love God and to love your neighbour. In my readings so far, this is the first mention in the Psalms about what people of God are to "do."
Psalm 16 is a song of trust and security in God, a prayer of an individual asking for continual protection and guidance. The psalmist is confident in the relationship with God: "You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (v.11)."
Note: This marks my first full week of blogging the Psalms, and I'm wondering if this is a sustainable exercise. I see the value in reading the Psalms consecutively but I'm wondering if I can continue to have new insights and reflections. I'm reluctant to be too personal in an on-line setting.

1 comment:

  1. There are recurring references to God's right hand in the Psalms but this is the first mention of it (in the Psalms). This has sent me off to look at all the references to "right hand" in the Psalms -- so much for reading through the Psalms in order!
    IPF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.