Psalms 103 and 104: Psalm 104 is a lengthy hymn to God as creator, detailing God's power and majesty through the created world and all creatures in it. This psalm has some lovely lines in it: "you make the clouds your chariot you ride on the wings of the wind, you make the wind your messengers, fire and flame your ministers." Where else but the psalms could the wind carry the message of God and fire a minister of God? After a series of enthronement psalms, God is shown to be king, but the royal language isn't used here except in the opening lines, where God is clothed with honor and majesty and wrapped in light.
All creation and all creatures on it have direct access to God in this psalm, Walker-Jones says, remarkable because that access extends beyond just humans. Animals and other creatures look to God for their food and sustenance, and hey, even a little wine:
"You cause the grass to grow for the cattle, and plants for people to use, to bring forth food from the earth, and wine to gladden the human heart, oil to make the face shine," v. 14-15. In this psalm, God is definitely the God of creation, the one on whom everything else depends on for life. And the psalmist reminds us that God rejoices in the work of creation (v. 31), suggesting we can enjoy it too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Brenda - just a quick post here as I know you're looking for some feedback to fulfill the goals of the project. I've checked in a few times to see what you're up to. I've enjoyed your commentary and especially the times where you've quoted passages from your reading. Those parts have brightened my day. I'm a little suprised at the quietness out here in the blogosphere... Anyhow, thanks for sharing your musings. I'll be back!
ReplyDelete