Thursday, November 19, 2009

A quiver full of sons

Psalms 126 and 127:  Today my social location as a woman in the 21st century butts head on with the psalmist of the Ancient Near East. In Psalm 127, a wisdom psalm with the superscription "Of Solomon" the psalmist speaks about God as a source of security in the first verses, and then about the blessings of children. In this case, sons, who are described as a heritage from the Lord, fruit of the womb, like arrows in the hands of the Lord. "Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them." (v. 5a) My NRSV study Bible has a comment that is politically correct for our times, but not accurate for the time of the psalmist, saying that "many children are a gift from God to provide security for parents" and that sons can protect from enemies. I agree with the gifts from God part, but I'm sure that the psalmist didn't mean "children" when using the word "sons." The psalmist was writing in a patriarchal world, where men and their sons had the power, and women and daughters were viewed as property. Women didn't have status if they were not wives and mothers, and a widow without children was particularly vulnerable, as in the case of Tamar in Gen. 38 and Ruth, daughter-in-law of Naomi. So I'm not buying the study Bible's editorial comment about children here -- the psalmist says sons and means sons. I am a woman with sons, and indeed, I'm happy to have them, but they won't be protecting me from enemies at the gate any time soon, nor do I expect them to, especially not in a violent way as is implied here.
And a message for my sons, taken slightly out of context, but still appropriate: please heed the words of the psalmist in 127: 2 "It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest." Actually, I would modify that: get to bed earlier so you can get up on time.  OK, that's enough mother talk for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.