Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy are those who fear the Lord

Psalms 110, 111 and 112:  I'm reading three psalms today, not only to ensure I finish by the end of the month, but also because Psalms 111 and 112 are meant to be read as a pair. James Mays says they are a diptych, which have related language and form and topics, and both are acrostic poems of 22 measures, each beginning with a successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Since I don't read Hebrew, some of those literary devices are lost on me, but I can see the similiarities in English translation. Each have 10 verses, begin with the same line: "Praise the Lord!" and the final verse of  111 links to the opening verse in 112. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (111:10) and "Happy are those who fear the Lord" (112:1) The first psalm in the pair focuses on the the wonderful deeds of God and the second gives instruction about righteous living. God is great, and those who love God will be blessed. Although there's much about this psalm that could be picked apart and explained (I'm in the middle of an exegesis of another psalm today), I'll point out just one thing. At the end of 111, God's praise endures forever. Psalm 112 ends with a contrasting thought to the power of God and the blessing on those who are faithful: the wicked melt away and their desire comes to nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.