Friday, October 16, 2009
From lament to thanksgiving
Psalms 64 and 65: The last posts have been lament-heavy as I make my way to the end of Book 2. I was resonating with the psalmist in the plea: "How long?" How long must we lament before we can move on to some action or thanks? Today's the day -- for the time being, when the individual laments break for three psalms of community thanksgiving. Scholars argue that the psalms are ordered they way they are for a purpose, but to me, we've been stuck in lament too deep and too long. I'm as a good a complainer (complainant?) as anyone, but it's been unrelenting. Even if each of the lament psalms has praise at the end of the psalm, the mood has been gloomy. So I'm happy to say with the psalmist: "the pastures of the wilderness overflow, the hills gird themselves with joy, the meadows clothe themselves with flocks, the valleys deck themselves with grain, they shout and sing together for joy." And hey, tomorrow our weather is supposed to go into the double digits for the first time in weeks, so the gloom and doom of the cool cloudy weather here in Winnipeg will be lifted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You quote Psalm 65:12-13 but I was more struck by the water imagery in verses 9-10: “You visit the earth and water it,” “the river of God is full of water,” and “You water its furrows abundantly.” The importance of water in Israel and its dependence on rain for fertile fields reminds me of the plight of many people today who don’t have access to potable water or who face drought.
ReplyDeleteIPF