Psalms 91 and 92: Okay, I'm actually quoting 92: 6 here, although the line sounds like something the teenagers in my house might say. I feel a bit stupid myself today, since I meant to post yesterday, but stupidly didn't when I had a chance and then after an exhausting day for various reasons, went to bed without checking in on my blog.
Both of these psalms are individual thanksgiving psalms, but I particularly like the language and imagery in Ps. 92. The psalmist uses the characters of the wicked and righteous in this psalm (recurring narratives, as my professor Arthur Walker-Jones would say) and contrasts the deep thoughts of God with the stupid and the dullards. No punches pulled here, and these terms aren't what most parents would consider nice language. But the psalmist wants to make a comparison about the greatness of God and the stupidity of the wicked, the enemies, or those who choose another god. "They are doomed to destruction forever, but you, O Lord, are on high forever." v. 7-8. In contrast, the righteous, those who follow God, flourish like a palm tree or cedars, trees which are deep rooted and are symbols of longevity compared to the grass image used for the wicked. Verses 12 and 13 have some nice parallelism around growing/planting and flourishing and verse 14 uses opposites to make a point about the righteous: "in old age they still produce fruit; they are always green and produced sap."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is interesting that the psalm says that the stupid cannot understand this. I often wonder if the stupid are the only ones who do get it.
ReplyDeleteIPF