Monday, October 12, 2009

Lying down among the lions

Psalms 56 and 57: Whatever the stresses of 21st century life, I would never compare it to lying among the lions and being devourted by their arrow-sharp teeth. In the individual lament of Psalm 57, the psalmist compares his/her enemies to lions and hunters who set a trap for their prey. I like some of the other natural imagery in this psalm like the image of God as an eagle who protects from storms and enemies
in the shadows of wings. Despite the very real threat of danger from the enemies, the psalmist consistently proclaims faith and trust in God, who remains steadfast.

1 comment:

  1. I always think of steadfastness as an attribute of God but in Psalm 57, God's steadfastness is mentioned in verse 3 and the psalmist's steadfastness is mentioned in verse 7.
    IPF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.